1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups Extra White gold gluten-free all purpose flour
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
5 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2-3 drops food coloring
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, mixing until incorporated.
- Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture, mixing until a dough forms. Turn out the dough onto a clean surface and shape into a flattened disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter until smooth, then add powdered sugar and beat until no lumps remain. Add cream, food coloring, vanilla extract, and salt and beat until combined.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, or a surface lightly dusted with gluten-free flour, until it is ¼-inch thick. Cut out cookies using cookie cutters and transfer to the baking sheets. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Frost and decorate as desired.
See recipe video here.