These Gluten and Dairy Free Danish pastries are made completely from scratch, taste like the real thing and are easier than you’d think !
They are perfect for breakfast or brunch. Make sure to oil spray the dough and refrigerate it covered with a plastic wrap.
1 pkg. Extra White Gold Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
1 large egg
3/4 cup lukewarm (100 °F- 110 °F) dairy free milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 1 TBP, melted not hot
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil, for greasing
1 1/2 cups dairy free ricotta cheese (like Kite Hill)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon lemon zest or orange (optional)
2 large egg yolks
3-4 tablespoons Extra White Gold gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (80 ml) water
6 tablespoons (75 grams) granulated sugar
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
Make the dough:
- Combine flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer. Blend for 1 min. Mix in a small bowl, eggs and milk pour into the flour mixture, using dough paddle hook, mix until dough forms.
- With the mixer on low speed, add butter, a spoonful at a time and then salt. Mix dough on medium speed for 4 minutes until smooth.
- Spray a bowl with oil and return the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator over night for (6-8 hours).
Make the filling:
Mix well all the ingredients until smooth. The filling needs to be smooth, not runny. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll out each piece on a well-floured parchment papers to about a 10-inch width and 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the dough into 3 by 3 inch squares. Put a heaping measuring tablespoon of filling into the center of each square of pastry. Shape as an envelope (To seal edges, brush with some water or an egg wash) . Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Brush pastries with an egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- While pastries are baking, you can make a simple syrup (optional): Bring sugar and water to a simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from oven, brush syrup all over. Let cool on a rack .
Dust with powdered sugar.
Here some pictures for you: