Get in the holiday spirit with this fun family project. Make a homemade gingerbread house!
You will need:(12-14 crackers).
1 package gluten-free Extra White Gold Gingerbread Cookie mix
1 stick unsalted butter or vegan butter, or shortening cubed (room temp)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon or Pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp. ground Cloves
2 tablespoons honey or molasses or maple syrup
4-6 tablespoons cold water
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a food processor, mix the gingerbread mix, spices with the cubed shortening/ butter together for 2 minutes, until the mixture will look like coarse sand. Add honey.
- Add gradually water to form a nice dough.
- Refrigerate: Form the dough into a ball and flatten it into a large disk (1/8 "- 1/4 " thickness).
- Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about an hour.
- Prep: When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Roll: On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a knife, or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 3×2.5- inch rectangular.
- Bake: Place the dough rectangles onto the prepared baking sheet 1/2- inch apart. Bake them for 7-10 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
- Cool: Transfer your graham crackers to a wire rack to cool completely.
Royal icing is one of the best option for projects like this since, unlike buttercream frosting, royal icing will harden once dry. It is also helpful to give the structure extra time to dry before adding decorations.