Better than store bought pastries. Deliciously gluten and dairy free and sweet to eat.
The dough is pliable and easy to roll out. Make sure to oil spray the dough and refrigerate it overnight.
Instead of making the apple filling from scratch, you can use a store bought apple pie filling (only the apples).
1 pkg. Extra White Gold Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
1 large egg
3/4 cup lukewarm (100 °F- 110 °F) dairy free milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 1 TBP, melted not hot
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil, for greasing
Apple Filling (or use store bought Apple pie filling)
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 large apples, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon Almond flour or Corn starch
1/3 cup (80 ml) water
6 tablespoons (75 grams) granulated sugar
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
Make the dough:
- Combine flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer. Blend for 1 min. Mix in a small bowl, eggs and milk pour into the flour mixture, using dough paddle hook, mix until dough forms.
- With the mixer on low speed, add butter, a spoonful at a time and then salt. Mix dough on medium speed for 4 minutes until smooth.
- Spray a bowl with oil and return the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator over night for (6-8 hours).
Make the filling:
Heat a large skillet over a medium heat. Mix the butter, sugar, apples, lemon, vanilla and cinnamon until Apples are softened (about 5-7 minutes).Let it cool down completely before using.
- Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll out each piece on a well-floured parchment papers to about a 10-inch width and 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the dough into 3 by 3 inch squares. Put a measuring tablespoon of filling into the center of each square of pastry. Sprinkle on top of the filling Almond flour or corn starch (this will hold the filling in place). Shape as an envelope (To seal edges, brush with some water or an egg wash) . Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Brush pastries with an egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- While pastries are baking, you can make a simple syrup (optional): Bring sugar and water to a simmer until sugar dissolves. Remove from oven, brush syrup all over. Let cool on a rack .
Dust with powdered sugar.