Buns are best used on the day they are baked. For making ahead, it's best to freeze as these buns freeze beautifully! Freeze in a freezer bag or container. Thaw in the container at room temperature.
For the buns:(9 buns)
1 package Extra White Gold gluten free bread flour
1 tbsp. Dry yeast ( or 1 sachet)
2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1 egg (L) or an egg chia replacement
240 ml.(1 cup) lukewarm water
¼ cup pieces of butter/ vegan butter room temp (very soft)
½ tsp. salt
For the egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water and 1 tsp honey.
Be sure to brush the egg wash on the dough evenly and thoroughly, being sure to get all around the bun and right to the bottom.
Poppy or sesame seeds(optional)
- In a mixer bowl, mix the flour, sugar and yeast.
- In a second bowl, mix the egg, water and pour to the mixer bowl. Mix well. Add gradually soft butter. Add salt. Mix on a low speed for 3 minutes.
- The dough should be sticky. If it is dry, add up to 3 tablespoons water.
Lightly spray your dough with oil, cover and let rise it overnight in the fridge.(up to 8 hours).
The next day, flour your surface with some gf flour and with oiled hands, shape into 9 round rolls. (Or you can use a silicone hamburger bun baking pan).
- Let the dough rise for 15-20 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash. Heat the oven to 375 deg. Put inside the oven (the low part of the oven), a dish filled with very hot water (will help the rise).
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.