Our Gluten Free Braided Pastry is filled with sweet, creamy ricotta and chocolate. It is delicious and looks amazing.
Make sure to oil spray the dough and refrigerate it covered with a plastic wrap. Make this recipe dairy free and gluten free by using vegan cheeses.
Ingredients: (2 braided pastries)
1 pkg. Extra White Gold Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
1 large egg
3/4 cup lukewarm (100 °F- 110 °F) milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 1 TBP, melted not hot
1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil, for greasing
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest or orange (optional)
2 large egg yolks
3-4 tablespoons Extra White Gold gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
Make the dough:
- Combine flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer. Blend for 1 min. Mix in a small bowl, eggs and milk pour into the flour mixture, using dough paddle hook, mix until dough forms.
- With the mixer on low speed, add butter, a spoonful at a time and then salt. Mix dough on medium speed for 4 minutes until smooth.
- Spray a bowl with oil and return the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the refrigerator over night for (6-8 hours).
Make the filling:
Mix all the ingredients until smooth. The filling needs to be smooth, not runny. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. You can freeze half of the dough for a later use. Roll out each piece on a well-floured parchment papers to about a 10-inch width and 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread half of the filling in the center of each rectangle of pastry, Cut even strips on both sides for the braiding, as shown in the picture.
- To start braiding the sweet bread, fold the bottom and top of the dough towards filling. Then fold each strip over the filling, overlapping them alternately. Make sure the filling is not exposed.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Brush pastries with an egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Let it cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.