- 2 cups Extra White Gold all-purpose flour , plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream or buttermilk plus more for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- optional: sugar for topping
- Whisk flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl. Grate the cold butter using a box grater. Add it to the flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs.
- Whisk 1/2 cup buttermilk, the egg, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Mix the flour mixture, add lemon zest and blueberries. Until all incorporated.
To make triangle scones: Work on a large piece of parchment paper. Dust you paper with gluten free flour. With floured hands, work dough into a flattened disc. Dough will be sticky.
If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 more Tablespoons heavy cream./ buttermilk. Use oil spray to oil a sharp knife or bench scraper and cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush scones with remaining heavy cream or egg wash.
- Place scones on a plate or lined baking sheet and freeze for at least 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Sprinkle sone sugar and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes.
- Leftover scones keep well in the refrigerator, covered for 5 days.