This amazing flaky homemade cheesy, no Egg Empanadas is surprisingly easy to make with very few ingredients.
We like to stuff our dough with cheeses, roasted vegetables and Feta cheese, ground beef or chicken with spices and herbs.
Have an Air fryer? Arrange the empanadas in a parchment-lined Air Fryer basket and cook in batches at 400° for 10 minutes
11/4 cups Extra White Gold Bread flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup Greek yogurt (high in protein)
1/2 tsp salt
Ricotta cheese filling:
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Garlic powder and oregano
1/2 cup grated cheese
Cheese- Basil pesto filling:
We used 1/4 cup vegan store bought pesto
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Egg wash or olive oil(optional)
sesame cheese (optional)
- Mix ingredients of the dough in a large mixing bowl. If the dough crumbly, add 1-2 tablespoons yogurt.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Mix ingredients of the cheese or/ and pesto filling together. Keep in the refrigerator until using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place dough on a lightly GF floured surface and divide in half. Roll one half out to ¼” thick. Using a 4.5” round cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Repeat with remaining dough. Reroll scraps once to cut out more rounds.
- Lightly moisten outer edge of a dough round with water and place about 1-2 tablespoons filling in center. Fold dough in half over filling. Use a fork to crimp edges together. Repeat with remaining filling and dough.
- Place empanadas on prepared baking sheets and brush with egg wash. Bake until golden and filling is warmed through, about 25 minutes.