3 1/2 cups Extra White Gold gluten free bread flour, plus more if needed.
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup lukewarm water plus 1-2 teaspoons water, as needed
3/4 cup (6.2 oz) unsalted butter, melted, not hot
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
For the Filling:
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan
1 cup brown sugar packed
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, raisins or walnuts
For the Glaze:
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup cream cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Make the dough:
Whisk the flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed with the paddle hook for 1 minute.
- Add water, vanilla, nutmeg and yolk, mix for two minutes until dough forms. With the mixer on low, add butter, a spoonful at a time and then salt. Add 2 teaspoons of water; dough should be sticky. Then, mix on medium speed for 4 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Spray a bowl with oil and return the dough to the bowl, turning it to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hours until doubled or refrigerate ove night.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Coat baking sheets with parchment paper or use muffin silicone sheets (for a nicer presentation).
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle (1/4 inch thick). Spread softened butter, sugar, cinnamon and pecans (optiona). Fold the dough; cut and roll (see the demo). Tuck the end of the dough at its bottom. Place the buns cut-side down in the pan, leaving an inch space between each roll.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 °F .Brush with an egg wash (at home, for extra rise place a dish filled with hot water at the bottom of the oven).
- Bake the buns until golden brown for about 15-25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: beat together sugar, cream cheese and butter. Transfer the buns to a rack and drizzle the glaze on top while still warm.